Outer doors made of steel are everywhere – public buildings, small businesses, industrial facilities – they’re a top choice for secure doors and fire doors in commercial settings, especially as exterior doors, which have much higher performance requirements than interior doors. Commercial doors crafted of steel are known for their strength and resilience in any setting. Three key features of exterior steel doors made for businesses are:
- Exterior steel doors announce to the public that your business is secure; they also send a message to would-be break-in artist that you take security seriously. A galvanized steel door will often deter burglars so they give up and go looking for an easier target.
- Coated in zinc oxide, steel doors resist corrosion and can stand up to heavy use. They are difficult to scratch and are resistant to cracking and bowing. A steel door may cost a bit more, but it will last a long time, making it a worthwhile investment.
- Exterior steel doors are energy-efficient. Most are made with a polyurethane foam core, which helps insulate the interior of your business and lower your utility bills.
Exterior Steel Doors have Other Great Qualities, Too
Think a steel door isn’t versatile? Today’s steel doors come in a wide variety of colors and styles that can lend an attractive element to your building’s exterior while providing an extra layer of security. You can also paint steel doors, although a weather-resistant coating that won’t peel or strip is recommended. And their versatility isn’t just on the surface. Exterior steel doors are used in so many commercial settings because of a few distinct features:
- Security: Steel doors are hard to breach, especially if reinforced with mesh. You can even have exterior steel doors made bullet-proof.
- Lifespan: Exterior steel doors last a long time, even in adverse weather situations, as steel is impact-resistant, warp-resistant and corrosion-resistant.
- ADA Compliance: Since hollow steel doors are lightweight and can be designed in double-door arrangements, they’re the easiest way to install a storefront door system that’s ADA-compliant (read: accessible to everyone).
- Insulation: The interior space inside hollow stainless steel security doors reduces temperature fluctuations and energy loss.
- Cost: Not only are steel doors an affordable option for your outside entry/exit points with regard to initial cost, but the low-maintenance, hardy nature of exterior steel doors means less risk of break-ins, lower overhead costs, and less maintenance and repair costs.
However, while steel doors are low-maintenance, they’re not no-maintenance, particularly if they are in a corrosive environment. Hiring a reputable company like SACS DOOR & GATE can help minimize any maintenance issues, and keep your exterior door of steel looking good and functioning properly for many years. If you’re convinced a steel door is the right door for your business’ entryway or secure doors, contact us to talk about installations, repairs and maintenance; we’re always happy to help.